Lostock Hall in 1915
The precise date of this map is not known, but Tardy Gate Mill (top left) was built in 1908, so it is likely that the map was made shortly after that. Black Lane (at the top of the map) is now Brownedge Road.
The village had suffered from the depression of the late 19th Century, but employment had begun to recover in part due to demand created by the War.
Main sources of employment were
● Cuerden Green Mills (owned by Thomas Moss, who had added a weaving shed to the existing spinning mill in 1907)
● Tardy Gate Mill on Coote Lane, opened in 1908
● Lostock Hall locomotive sheds, which repaired and maintained steam locomotives
● Leyland rubber works
The map of Lostock Hall in the early years of the century shows how the mills and the loco sheds dominated the village.
“Few centres of any size in Lancashire can have suffered less industrially from the war, thanks largely to government work.” (Preston Guardian, April 1915)
But infant mortality was high – 25% of children died in infancy.
Total population in 1911: 3,859
In 1915, 157 men had already signed up. Far more would sign up from May that year, following the recruitment campaign which was given new impetus after the sinking of the Lusitania that month.
By the end of the War, 83 villagers had given their lives.